7.10.2006

cheap cheap chickpea dinner

I was never much a fan of chickpeas when I was growing up, mainly because chickpeas make you have smelly farts - But I guess I had to learn that such is the cost of deliciousness, no? Anyways, I was in Williamsburg the other night and I went into this hippie organic cafe to get coffee and the place really smelled of delicious chickpeas simmering in delicious spices so I decided to go home and make up a chick pea recipe. I have to say, I am estimating the amount of spices I put in - I usually just add and taste and add and taste when using tumeric and cumin and red pepper so I suggest doing the same until you get the right combo. I also reccomend dressing this with a little Maggie Hot and Sweet sauce which can be found in any Indian grocery store. Tamarind sauce would also be tasty.



2 15 oz cans of chickpeas
1 10 oz package of frozen baby peas, defrosted
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp tumeric
1 tsp chili powder
1 large tomato, chopped
4 large pita breads
salt and pepper to taste
vegetable oil
water

1. add a little glug of vegetable oil to a sauce pan and let it heat up. add chopped onions and cook until caramelized, about 10 - 12 minutes.
2. add garlic and sautee for 1 minute.
3. add all spices with a little bit of water and let cook for 30 seconds.
4. add chickpeas and cook for about 5 minutes (you can cover them up while they are cooking if you like your chickpeas a little softer).
5. add peas and cook for another 5 minutes.
6. divide the mixture onto four pita breads warmed in the oven, garnish with tomato and eat immediately.

serves three hungry boys and one hungry but small girl

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?